Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tomato Apple Bacon Soup


I love soup. My favorite part about fall is that I can start eating more hot soup. Starting around the end of October, I usually make a big pot of soup on Sunday and use it for lunches or snacks (sometimes breakfast) throughout the week. I usually freeze a portion or two too.


I've been making Tomato Apple Bacon soup since I found the recipe online in about 2005. The recipe I originally used was from Allrecipes, although I modified it significantly really from the first time I made it. Originally I would make this soup using two cans of condensed tomato soup, two cans of beef broth, celery, bacon, and apples. Eventully I came around to a recipe which is more similar to the one that is posted on allrecipes, though mine is still a bit different.  I like navy beans, but you could substitute any bean or leave them out altogether if you want.

A note about salt: You'll notice that this recipe doesn't call for salt. I have always found that the stock and bacon make it plenty salty.  You can always add some if you want, but I would wait until the soup is almost finished before deciding. I also cook my beans with no salt, so using canned beans may cause the soup to increase in saltiness.

Tomato Apple Bacon Soup (Adapted from AllRecipes)

4 slices thick cut bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
32 oz Beef Broth (low sodium if possible)
1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans (or 1 can beans, drained)
bay leaf
1 tbsp italian seasoning blend: mine contains oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil, rosemary, and sage
ground black pepper to taste
1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple cider or red wine
grated parmigiano-reggiano to taste (I like about 2 Tbsp per  bowl)
thinly sliced unpeeled apples for garnish

Cut bacon into small pieces; saute in stock pot until crispy. Remove bacon with slotted spoon. If there's a lot of bacon grease you will want to drain some of that too. Leave about 2-3 tbsp of grease in the pan. Saute onion, garlic, and celery in bacon drippings until soft; about 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, beans, bay leaf, and italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, then let simmer.

Cook apple and cider in small saucepan until apples are starting to soften. Add apple, cider, and bacon to the soup. Continue simmering for another 20-30 minutes. Season with pepper (and salt if necessary) to taste. Remove bay leaf. Garnish with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and apple slices. I serve this with biscuits and it makes a great meal.

Like (almost) all soups, this is better the second day.  If you want to freshen it up the next day you can add some fresh-cooked crumbled bacon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment